The Town owns and maintains 28.13 acres of parks and 12,511 feet of trails and walkways.
Town Park, NW Coveland and Colburn Streets
This 3.8 acre community park is located in the northwestern part of Coupeville on land donated by the Ladies of the Round Table for use as parkland. The site contains a number of large trees and the northern portion consists of wooded, medium bank waterfront with 500 feet of frontage on Penn Cove. A 440 foot winding trail provides access from the upland to the beach. Developed facilities include a 20’ by 30’ cookhouse, picnic tables with barbecue pits, restrooms, tennis court, shuffleboard and playground equipment. In addition, Town Park houses the Pavilion, a live performance stage used for outdoor concerts and other social events.
Captain Coupe Park, 602 NE Ninth Street
This nearly one acre site is located north and east of the Wastewater Treatment Plant and provides Coupeville’s only low and no bank waterfront access under public ownership. The park also affords excellent views of Penn Cove and Mount Baker. A boat ramp, floating dock and associated boat trailer parking form the primary use of the park, although there are also picnic tables, barbecues and a public restroom
Lions Park, NE Sixth and Haller Streets
This 1.2 acre neighborhood park provides playground equipment, picnic tables, a small ball field with backstop (suitable for T-ball) and a basketball court. A public restroom was recently constructed in the park. In recognition of donations of materials and labor for this, and other projects, by the Coupeville Lions Club, the park was named in their honor.
Peaceful Valley Park, NW Sixth and Wilkes Streets
The Town’s newest park contains one acre of open, undeveloped land and was dedicated for public use with the development of the Krueger Farms subdivision. There are no immediate plans to develop facilities for this park.
Sunset Terrace Park, 1065 NE Summit Loop
This one-half acre neighborhood park was dedicated to the Town when the Sunset Terrace plat was recorded in 1955. Located in a picturesque location on Pennington Hill with views northeast to the Cascades and southwest to the Olympics, the site remains undeveloped. A picnic table was recently moved to the park, but its primary function continues to be as open space.
Cook’s Corner Park, North Main and NE Ninth Streets
This small mini-park of about 0.11 acres serves both passive uses and as a gateway to the waterfront historic district. As one of only two parks named after individuals (the other being Captain Coupe), Cook’s Corner Park was renamed in 1997 from Triangle Park to honor Eileen Cook who, with the Coupeville Garden Club, was responsible for designing the current layout. The Garden Club also funded the bronze sculpture and water feature in the park. The park also serves as the focal point each December for the Town’s holiday decorations and celebrations.
Front Street Stairs, 6 NW Front Street
The former site of the Coupeville Town Hall is currently used as a mini-park providing access from Front Street to the beach. In addition, there are two landings which provide informal seating and viewpoints.
Waterfront Walk, North Main to Captain Coupe Park
This 2000-foot stretch of packed gravel trail connects the waterfront historic area with Captain Coupe Park, providing spectacular views of Penn Cove and Mount Baker. It was constructed in 1999 within Town-owned right of way, and includes improvements such as seating, landscaping and fencing. The Walk also incorporates the Jolly Boat monument at the corner of Gould and Front. This project was funded entirely through the Community Commemorative Fund, created in early 1999 as a vehicle to accept public donations toward park and other improvements.
OSPC Property, Lower Peaceful Valley
In early 2000, the Town purchased a 3.93 acre parcel located between the Municipal Parking Lot and the Krueger Farms subdivision. This parcel can be left as open space or developed modestly as a neighborhood park. The long-term plan for this area should take into account adjacent publicly-owned lands, including the Coupeville Library.
Krueger Open Space, Broadway and Highway 20
Negotiation with a private property owner and trading of land use density gave the Town an opportunity to acquire approximately 11 acre of open space. Subsequent efforts of the Friends of Krueger Farm resulted in over 4 more acres being purchased and dedicated to the Town. The area is currently maintained as open space, and includes on developed path connecting Broadway and Birch Street, and numerous trails through the wooded area.
In addition to formal sidewalks along major arterial streets with the Town, an informal, gravel path system is being developed. The paths are constructed to a standard established by the Dept. of Transportation, are accessible for wheelchairs and baby strollers, and have the added benefit of being pervious surfaces which absorb rainwater rather than creating additional runoff.
||Birch to Broadway Trail
|| Broadway Path
|| Front Street Trail, Downtown to Capt. Coupe Park
||Parker Road Trail
|| 223 feet
|| Town Park Trail
An advisory Parks and Recreation Commission provides input to the Town on the maintenance and operation of the park facilities.
Questions about park development should be referred to Mayor Nancy Conard, 678-4461, ext. 2 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Concerns about park maintenance should be referred to Public Works Superintendent Larry Smith, 360-914-1155 or email@example.com.